055 The Practical Implications of Hart vs Large
A case that started with a survey in 2011, Hart v Large recently came to a climax, raising a number of issues that have sent shivers down the collective spines of the residential sector. Settled out of the court, the resulting level of damages was awarded against the surveyor.
We gathered a panel of participants to discuss this case.
Leslie Milson is a Chartered Valuation Surveyor and RICS Registered Valuer undertaking all manner of formal residential valuations, Homebuyer Reports and Building Surveys. She works for Watsons Property.
Tim Jones, a Chartered Building Surveyor, BlueBox Trainer, RICS APC Trainer, Chair, Assessor and SAVA Assessor, who specialises in residential building surveys and valuation advice.
Geoff Hunt is a sole practitioner based in Somerset, specialising in pre-war and listed building pre-acquisition surveys and defects. He is the author of The Defects Timeline and of Residential Building Defects.
Phil Parnham is a Chartered Building Surveyor with an expertise in the diagnosis of defects and dampness in residential properties. He has many years of experience in the social housing, higher education and residential sectors and is one of the founders of BlueBox Partners.
John Brownlow is a Director in the practice of Edwards Genesis (Chartered Surveyors), a Director of Brownlow Associates Ltd (Chartered Surveyors) and a Partner in Hampson Moore (Consultant Surveyors & Valuers). He is also an RICS Registered Valuer.
Marion Ellis is the founder of The Surveyor Hub and Women in Surveying Initiative, as well as Managing Director of BlueBox Partners. She is currently leading The Surveyor Hub Mastermind.
What we cover:
- What is the Heart v Large case and what are the lessons to be learned from it
- What is a PCC and when it should be sought
- How to work with the Home Survey Standard
- How to limit the liability of the surveyor
Connect with Leslie Milson:
Connect with Tim Jones:
- Facebook https://m.facebook.com/Localbuildingsurveys/
Connect with Geoff
Connect with Phil Parnham:
- LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/philparnham/
- Twitter https://twitter.com/philparnham/
- BlueBox https://www.blueboxpartners.com
Connect with John Brownlow:
Connect with Marion Ellis:
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/marionsurveyor/
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marionsurveyor/
- BlueBox https://www.blueboxpartners.com/
- Hart v Large: Important guidance for surveyors when advising prospective purchasers