103 Improving the Environmental Impact of Property with Gemma Cornwall
Gemma Cornwall is a Building Surveyor and Sustainability Advisor at Anderton Gables, based in the Preston Office. Before making the switch to a career in building surveying, Gemma spent a decade teaching economics in the UK and overseas. Along with her existing qualifications in surveying, she is working towards her APC with the goal of gaining MRICS status within the next 12 months.
She leads AG’s Sustainability service, providing professional advice to both residential and commercial clients on how to improve the environmental impact of their properties.
Having spent most of her childhood moving around the world, she is now happily settled in the Ribble Valley with her family. Outside of work she spends a lot of time training Olympic weightlifting, with the goal of eventually qualifying for the British Master championships.
What We Cover.
- Why Gemma decided to change careers and what her start as a building surveyor was like
- Unconscious biases that employers have and the art of writing job ads and recruiting
- The benefits of having a career before career and what sort of support young surveyors need
- How surveyors can help property owners gain more awareness and information about sustainability
- The importance of sharing knowledge about sustainability across the property industry
- The behavioral changes we need to make in our private and professional lives
Connect with Gemma Cornwall:
Connect with Marion:
- Building Foundations within Construction and Property with Jess Reid
- Derren Brown’s Boot Camp for Life
- 095 To Retrofit or Not to Retrofit with Professor John Edwards
- RICS Matrics
The Surveyor Hub: